Thursday 12 April 2012



As far as possible, I'm using things I have taken back home from former travels and kept all these years in the attic.
I bought this flag in a giant tag sale somewhere in Connecticut on my second visit to the USA as I was  photographing my first book "The Garden Room" in the early 90's. I think it's the first thing I ever bought in America, it has 48 stars which I imagine speaks for it's age. The African wax comes from the dutch factory Vlisco, main manufacturers of the exotic boubou that adorns the wealthy Mama Benz all across the continent. I remember my confusion at having to choose amongst at least a million different patterns each  more extravagant and for some reason picked this one. In some ways it reminds me of the shape of an alaia board which makes sense now and anyway it's the only piece of fabric I have long enough to cover the four windows. I had to choose then, hopefully I don't have to do that now.
The timber is the future bed frame, a gift from friends. Carries good vibes.

2 comments:

  1. bravo the creation

    your monochrome above the calendar of entries shows Union Street on the eastern crest of Telegraph Hill, where it dead-ends into Calhoun Terrace, turning at 90 degrees to the right out of view. the street is a cul-de-sac of two residences, one by Richard Neutra in 4 stories and one my apartment for years, flats of one per floor with broad eastern and southern terraces, cascading down the eastern slope.

    absolute magic, I wish you well

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can believe it !!! This is absolutely incredible. I must send you a print one day.

    ReplyDelete